“Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times; if only one remembers to turn on the light”. – J.K Rowling.
What is Happiness?
Happiness is so interesting, because we all have different ideas about what it is and how to get it.
Daniel Gilbert, Ph.D., a Harvard psychologist and author of the book “Stumbling on Happiness” defines happiness as frequent positive feelings accompanied by an overall sense that one’s life has meaning.
But happiness is more than just positive feeling. Happiness has includes purpose and resilience. A purpose motivated students to stay focused and resilience make them overcome the obstacles and negative emotions.
To develop a culture of happiness in a school setting is to help students develop their emotional intelligence.
Psychologist Daniel Goleman first presented the concept of Emotional Intelligence in his so titled book in 1995. Since its release, studies continue to illustrate the importance of EQ over IQ. He estimates that IQ makes up only about 20% of factors that determine life success, while emotional intelligence plays a much larger role in predicting future success in relationships, health, and quality of life.
Here are small steps that will make you happier-
- Do what you love – due to busyness we postponed the things for retirement. Instead, plan on spending some time doing things you love, even as a hobby. This will increase your productivity in study.
- Choose good friends – there are some friends who frequently complaining about the things, which can cause of lower morale inside you. So chose friends who are optimistic who can you feel energized when you spend time with them.
- Where should spend money – spend the money on the activity which gives you self-satisfaction.
- Reframe obstacles – No one gets through life without facing obstacles. Face the problems as a challenge. In this way you can become problem solver.
- Exercise more – seven minutes might be enough, if you not have much time for exercise then 7 to 10 minutes can be save for exercise.
- Sleep more – you’ll be less sensitive to negative emotions. Sleep helps our body to recover from the day and repair themselves and that helps us focus and be more productive.
- Spend time with friends and family
- Mediate – rewrite your brain for happiness. Meditation clears your mind and calms you down.
- Practice gratitude – increase both happiness and life satisfaction